Prachuap Khiri Khan
Prachuap Khiri Khan is located some 281 kilometers south of Bangkok. After the old town was abandoned during the fall of Ayutthaya, a new settlement was established in 1845 in the reign of King Rama IV. The province, today, is more famous for its natural charm of beaches and mountains than historical attractions. Hua Hin, its major attraction, is one of Thailand's most popular seaside resorts among overseas visitors as well as Thais.
Prachuap Khiri Khan is now divided into 7 districts and 1 sub-district: Amphoe Muang Prachuap Khiri Khan, Amphoe Bang Saphan, Amphoe Bang Saphan Noi, Amphoe Hua Hin, Amphoe Kui Buri, Amphoe Pran Buri, Amphoe Thap Sakae, and King Amphoe Sam Roi Yot.
Hat Khao Tao
Hat Khao Tao This beach lies about 10 kilometers south of Hua Hin and 1 kilometer along an access road. It is a pine-fringed beach, more secluded than Hua Hin. Bungalows are available.
Hua Hin Arts and Crafts Centre
Hua Hin Arts and Crafts Centre This is situated in an old typical house on Naepkhehat Road. It has a collection and exhibition of many contemporary works of Thai artists, as well as old furniture and many pictures about Hua Hin in the past.
Hua Hin Railway Station
Hua Hin Railway Station Built in the reign of King Rama VI, this is one of Thailand's most beautiful train stations of which the local people are very proud.
Khao Takiap This hill is only 4 kilometers south of Hua Hin and may be reached by local minibus. There is a road leading to the top where a temple is situated. The nearby Khao Takiap beach offers mostly bungalow accommodation.
Klai Kangwon Palace
Klai Kangwon Palace King Rama VII commanded this summer palace to be built in the year 1926 to the north of Hua Hin. The palace consists of 3 Spanish style mansions facing the sea. It is open to the public daily from 9.00 a.m. - 4.00 p.m. Call 0 3251 1115 for more information.
Ko Singto Fishing lovers can enjoy a day’s outing to this island, just a few kilometers from Hua Hin or Khao Takiap where some boats for hire are available.
Namtok Pa La-u
Namtok Pa La-u This waterfall is located within a yearlong verdant forest where various kinds of birds and butterflies are found, especially in the morning. It is composed of 11 tiers of rocks, some of which can be reached along a trekking trail parallel to the stream. To get there, visitors may book tour.
Suan Son Pradiphat
Suan Son Pradiphat or Sea Pine Tree Garden This beachside area belongs to the Army Welfare Office and is open to the public. It is at Km. 241, some 8 kilometers south of Hua Hin. Accommodation is available.
Sam Roi Yot National Park
Sam Roi Yot National Park This park is located 63 kilometers south of Hua Hin. It occupies an area of 98 square kilometers with undulating ranges of limestone mountains, mangrove swamps, and beaches. It is also home to various kinds of local and migrating birds, which are plentiful from November to February. With a large number of ridges, Khao Sam Roi Yot (or the mountain of 300 peaks) stands as a landmark for seamen and also provides a good shelter for ships during a storm. To get to the park, follow the direction signs marking the remaining distances of 38 and 15 kilometers at Km. 256 and Km.286.5, respectively.
Attractions within the park area include:
Hat Sam Phraya , located 3.5 kilometers north of the park office, is a beautiful beach lined with pine trees. Accommodation is available.
Tham Kaeo is situated some 23 kilometers from Pran Buri or 15 kilometers north of the park office. This cave is full of stalactites and stalagmites. Oil lamps can be rented at a nearby village for exploring the cave.
Tham Sai, is 9 kilometers north of the park office. Exploration inside the cave takes about half an hour. Oil lamps can be rented at nearby Khung Tanot Village.
Hat Laem Sala is located 16 kilometres north of the park office. It can be reached by boat or walking across a hill from Bang Pu Village. Walking up a beachside mountain for a while, visitors will arrive at a famous cave called "Tham Phraya Nakhon". The cave has a big hole through which a shaft of light reaches and permits the growth of various kinds of plants. Phra Thi Nang Khuha Kharuhat, a Thai style pavilion, lends the most attractive sight to the cave and has become the symbol of Prachuap Khiri Khan. It is a four-porched building first constructed in Bangkok in 1890 during the reign of King Rama V, then dismantled and moved to the cave where it was reconstructed. Its gable tops were raised by the King himself.
In addition, there is a viewpoint on Khao Daeng, 400 metres from the park office and Ban Khao Daeng , a canalside village, which is the starting point for a boat trip to watch wild birds.
Ao Manao This beautiful curved bay is under the care of the Royal Thai Air force. It is some 5 kilometers south of the town. This area used to be a battlefield between the Thai and Japanese armies during Second World War. Accommodation should be reserved in advanced at the 53rd Squadron, Tel: 0 3261 1017, 0 3261 1031 ext. 2146.
Dan Singkhon This Myanmar-Thailand border pass is located in Tambon Khlong Wan, 4 kilometers from Khao Hin Thoen Stone Park. It used to be a strategic line for military movement in the past.
Khao Chong Krachok
Khao Chong Krachok or Mirror Mount From the foot of the hill in the north of the town, up 395 steps, sits a much revered monastery. There is a small pagoda and a troop of playful monkeys. The hill also offers a splendid panorama of the coastline and seascape.
Khao Hin Thoen Stone Park
Khao Hin Thoen Stone Park This is located to the west of the town. Travel along Highway No. 4 till Km. 331-332, then turn right and drive for another 8 kms. Among large stones placed by nature in the area, there are narrow walks leading to wide rocky fields on the mountain top overlooking the view of the city and the sea.
Wa Ko This locality has had historical importance since the reign of King Rama IV. The King made a trip to Wa Ko to witness the full moon eclipse. A long white sandy beach lined with pine trees offers a pleasant atmosphere. It is located at Km. 335 of Highway No. 4, about 12 kilometers south of the town.